North East Victoria 8-Day Spring Bicycle Tour
Food, Wine and Rail Trails
Previous guests rated this tour 5 STARS on
Facebook, Google and Trip Advisor
North East Victoria is known for its incredible natural beauty, fantastic produce and rich history, and what better way to immerse yourself in this increasingly popular region than with our easy-does-it Victoria cycling tour.
With a bit of luxury, small groups, expert support and an unwavering commitment to safety - the Mulga difference - you’ll see Victoria’s high country in a whole new way.
Each of the four seasons provides its own distinctive mix of visual delights but it is in spring and autumn that North East Victoria especially shines. Travel in spring and marvel at the large displays of blossoms and colourful flowering bulbs, or journey in autumn and pedal beneath grand old trees heavy with striking leaves of red and gold.
When you mix in the region's vibrant food and wine culture, fascinating attractions and laid-back atmosphere, you’ll find our spring and autumn High Country Victoria cycling tours are the perfect balance of gourmet indulgence and the great outdoors.
What is included:
- Accommodation in 3 or 4 star properties
- All meals (except lunch on days 2, 4 & 6 and morning and afternoon tea on non-riding days)
- End of tour dinner
- Walking tour of Beechworth
- Visits to regional food and wine producers
- Hot/cold drinks and snacks from the support vehicle
- Daily photos to capture your memories
- Daily maps and elevation profiles
- Support vehicles provided every day - ride as much or as little as you please
- Custom built support trailer for careful and safe carriage of your bike and luggage
- Luggage transfer between your accommodation
- UHF radio link between yourself and the support vehicle
- Mechanical assistance and support (limited spares)
- Tour guides - the owners of Mulga Bicycle Tours are with you every day
Starting at the epicurean epicentre of Milawa, we’ll head for Tarrawingee and then join the famous Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail to Beechworth. Along the way we’ll pass through serene natural bush, striking tall gums and with abundant birdlife cheering us as we pass. Tonight and tomorrow night we’ll stay in the historic Mayday Hills Village in Beechworth; a refurbished art deco building with exceptional gardens and a fascinating story to tell.
Take a breather and spend the day soaking in the fascinating history and natural beauty of Beechworth. We’ll start off with a walking tour of Beechworth’s historic town, and then you’ll have the entire afternoon to explore on your own.
Relax, have a coffee in one of Beechworth’s many cafés and eateries, visit the home of Beechworth Honey, or linger over a local pale ale at a brewery. Alternatively, join us for a wine tasting at the bio-dynamic certified Pennyweight Winery.
Today’s Beechworth to Bright cycling route takes us through a mix of settled land and impressive areas of natural beauty with striking views. We begin with a short climb to Stanley through magnificent countryside before the long scenic downhill run through Mount Stanley Scenic Reserve. We then journey alongside picturesque Barwidgee Creek all the way into Myrtleford.
After lunch and within view of several alpine peaks, we’ll cycle up the scenic Ovens Valley, close to the Ovens River, on the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail. We’ll stop at the Australian Pumpkin Seed Company, visit the delightful towns of Everton and Porepunkah, and then make our way into Bright, one of Victoria’s most charming and bike-friendly villages.
Bright has so much to offer that we’ll be spending the entire day here. Enjoy the chance to wander through town, indulge in the local café and food culture, visit the boutique brewery, and immerse yourself in the town’s fascinating mining history.
If the group is feeling energetic, we’ll be on hand to offer support for a cycle either to the top of Mt Buffalo, one of Australia’s most satisfying alpine climbs, or an easier ride along the gorgeous Buckland Valley.
From Mt Buffalo you can take in the incredible rock formations of the magnificent Gorge with views over the Ovens Valley. If you’re participating in the 7 Peaks Challenge – and the timing is right – you can even include Mt Buffalo as one of your ascents.
This morning we return to the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail to enjoy the mostly downhill run into Myrtleford for morning tea. Continuing on the rail trail we will pass through Gapsted before turning onto peaceful country back roads at Everton, which will take us to the Milawa Gourmet Region and our home for the next two nights.
Today is a ‘rest’ day with plenty of time provided for travellers to recoup and recover at the many farm and cellar doors, local produce outlets and gourmet eateries in the area. On the menu is a wine-tasting and tour of Brown Brothers Epicurean Centre, the fascinating Milawa Mustards, the Milawa Cheese Factory and a short ride down the road to the Hurdle Creek Still, where it’s always gin o’clock.
After a short break in Mohyu we will arrive in Whitfield for a late lunch. Prepare your palate for introduction to prosecco with Dal Zotto Wines, then enjoy a late afternoon walk to Powers Lookout, the hideout of Ned Kelly’s mentor Harry Power.
Our final day will be another day steeped in the food and wine culture of Victoria’s stunning north east. We’ll begin with a ride alongside the King River to Lake William Hovell, a pretty reservoir and the perfect place for a picnic lunch. We’ll then cycle back to Whitfield to visit some of its many wineries – including the award winning Pizzini Wines - and indulge in a delicious afternoon tea.
At checkout we will drive you back to our starting point at Milawa where the tour concludes.
Does cycling in Victoria sound like your cup of tea? Book your spot on this tour now.
- Your booking fee is not refundable, but is transferrable with at least 61 days’ notice.
- Guests are responsible for choosing a trip that suits their abilities, fitness level, and state of health. See How Mulga Bicycle Tours Grades Its Tours for more information.
- Guests are also responsible for ensuring they are adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the tour. If you have any health issues or doubts prior to the tour, you should seek appropriate medical advice and contact us.
- A list of mandatory safety equipment that you must bring with you on tour can be found in section 10 of our Terms and Conditions. We will ask to see your safety equipment prior to the commencement of the tour and we may also check it during the tour. If an item is missing or we form the view that a safety item does not comply, we may decide to exclude you from joining the tour or riding until you have acquired the necessary safety item or it has been serviced or recharged.
- We are unable to delay the start of the tour for anyone who does not have the appropriate safety equipment.
- We make every effort to stick to our plans, but tour details, such as non-riding activities, accommodation, menus, and sometimes routes, are subject to change.
- For the safety of our guests and staff Mulga Tours will cancel riding on days where we consider conditions are such that it is unsafe to ride. This may be due to high or low temperatures, high or gusty winds, heavy rain, low visibility or any other condition or circumstances which we consider makes riding unsafe. In these circumstances we will transfer guests to our next destination by vehicle.
- Fire Danger Rating. Mulga Tours will cancel riding on days when a fire danger rating of Severe, Extreme, Code Red or Catastrophic has been declared. On these days we will transfer guests to our next destination by vehicle.
- Guests must read all correspondence and information provided by Mulga Tours before and during their tour.
- Hotel credit card pre-authorisations. The tour price includes the cost of your accommodation each night of the tour. At check-in some accommodation providers may require you to provide a credit card pre-authorisation to cover expenses you may incur on top of the accommodation costs covered by Mulga.
- You may choose to hire a bicycle from us. The price of hire will be added to the tour price.