Murray to Mountains 5-Day Autumn Bike Tour
Murray to Mountains Rail Trail Autumn Colours
Previous guests rated this tour 5 STARS on
Facebook, Google and Trip Advisor
Australia’s North East Victoria is known for its incredible natural beauty, fantastic produce and rich history, and what better way to immerse yourself in this increasingly popular region than with our easy-does-it autumn cycling tour.
With small groups, expert support and an unwavering commitment to safety - the Mulga difference - you’ll see Victoria’s high country in a whole new way.
Each of the four seasons provides its own distinctive mix of visual delights but it is in autumn that North East Victoria especially shines. Journey with us on this autumn tour and pedal beneath grand old trees heavy with striking leaves of red and gold.
On this tour we’ll ride the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail with beautiful views of Mt Buffalo. Later we’ll join quiet country back roads to explore the Milawa gourmet region and the King Valley.
What is included:
- Breakfast each day
- Hot/cold drinks and snacks from the support vehicle
- Daily photos to capture your memories
- Daily maps and elevation profiles
- Bike and helmet for each guest
- Support vehicles provided every day - ride as much or as little as you please
- Custom built support trailer for careful and safe carriage of your bike and luggage
- Luggage transfer between your accommodation
- UHF radio link between yourself and the support vehicle
- Tour guides - the owners of Mulga Bicycle Tours are with you every day
You'll be met at Melbourne airport and driven to Wangaratta where we'll start riding tomorrow. When you arrive in Wangaratta you'll be welcomed by Mulga Bicycle Tours guides and taken to your accommodation for the night. You will be given your bike and helmet for the tour and shown the best places for dinner tonight.
Today we'll join the famous Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail and ride to Beechworth. Along the way we’ll pass through serene natural bush and striking tall gums with abundant birdlife cheering us as we pass.
This afternoon you'll be free to explore the many interesting aspects of Beechworth from historical buildings and gardens to the local brewery and famous Pennyweight Winery. Tonight we’ll stay in the historic Mayday Hills Village - a refurbished art deco building with exceptional gardens and a fascinating story to tell.
Today’s Beechworth to Bright cycling route takes us through a mix of settled land and impressive areas of natural beauty with striking views. We begin with a short climb to Stanley through magnificent countryside before the long scenic downhill run through Mount Stanley Scenic Reserve. We then journey alongside picturesque Barwidgee Creek all the way into Myrtleford.
After lunch and within view of several alpine peaks, we’ll cycle up the scenic Ovens Valley, close to the Ovens River, on the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail. We’ll stop at the Australian Pumpkin Seed Company, visit the delightful towns of Everton and Porepunkah, and then make our way into Bright, one of Victoria’s most charming and bike-friendly villages.
Bright has so much to offer that we’ll be spending the entire day here. Enjoy the chance to wander through town, indulge in the local café and food culture, visit the boutique brewery, and immerse yourself in the town’s fascinating mining history.
If the group is feeling energetic, we’ll be on hand to offer support for a cycle either to the top of Mt Buffalo, one of Australia’s most satisfying alpine climbs, or an easier ride along the gorgeous Buckland Valley.
From Mt Buffalo you can take in the incredible rock formations of the magnificent Gorge with views over the Ovens Valley. There are also other shorter rides which may appeal.
This morning we return to the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail to enjoy the mostly downhill run into Myrtleford where we'll stop for lunch. Continuing on the rail trail we will pass through Gapsted before turning onto peaceful country back roads at Everton, which will take us to the Milawa Gourmet Region.
After a short break in Mohyu we will arrive in Whitfield for a late lunch. Prepare your palate for introduction to prosecco with Dal Zotto Wines, then enjoy a late afternoon visit to Powers Lookout, the hideout of Ned Kelly’s mentor Harry Power.
Today is the end of your tour. After breakfast we will take you back to Melbourne airport in time for you to catch your flight home.
- Your booking fee is not refundable, but is transferrable with at least 61 days’ notice.
- Guests are responsible for choosing a trip that suits their abilities, fitness level, and state of health. See How Mulga Bicycle Tours Grades Its Tours for more information.
- A list of mandatory safety equipment that you must bring with you on tour can be found in section 10 of our Terms and Conditions. We will ask to see your safety equipment prior to the commencement of the tour and we may also check it during the tour. If an item is missing or we form the view that a safety item does not comply, we may decide to exclude you from joining the tour or riding until you have acquired the necessary safety item or it has been serviced or recharged.
- We are unable to delay the start of the tour for anyone who does not have the appropriate safety equipment.
- Guests are also responsible for ensuring they are adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the tour. If you have any health issues or doubts prior to the tour, you should seek appropriate medical advice and contact us.
- We make every effort to stick to our plans, but tour details, such as accommodation, menus, and sometimes routes, are subject to change.
- Guests must read all correspondence and information provided by Mulga Tours before and during their tour.
- Hotel credit card pre-authorisations. The tour price includes the cost of your accommodation each night of the tour. At check-in some accommodation providers may require you to provide a credit card pre-authorisation to cover expenses you may incur on top of the accommodation costs covered by Mulga.
- You may choose to hire a bicycle from us. The price of hire will be added to the tour price.