Capital Country 3 Day Floriade
Wide open spaces in spades
If you’re looking for some space and reflection – a chance to get away from the day-to-day and do something truly memorable - join us for three-day cycling holiday into the picturesque pastures and rolling hills surrounding Canberra in South East NSW.
Take a tranquil journey through wondrous natural scenery, interspersed with charming historic villages and with plenty of laughs as we go. Eat good food, enjoy good stories and rest in comfy beds at the end of each day.
This fully supported 3-day ride includes the last segment of our longer Capital Country Floriade tour. Starting in Canberra you will join the guests already on this tour on their return ride to Goulburn via the townships of Gunning and Crookwell.
If you already live in Canberra or are keen to explore the surrounding region in South East NSW but have limited time, this is the cycling holiday for you.
Although it’s the longest of the tour, today’s ride is very achievable and begins on the relaxing shared pathways and off-road cycleways of Canberra. We’ll take an easy roll through the Jerrabomberra Wetlands, once again on the lookout for birdlife, before a short cycle through the Royal Military College at Duntroon to see Duntroon House and the Changi Chapel. From Duntroon, we’ll join part of Canberra's newest bicycle infrastructure, the off-road cycleway alongside the new Majura Parkway, which will take us out to the Federal Highway.
Lunch today will be at historic Gundaroo, a unique town that has retained its special 19th-century character. Before we leave, we’ll visit the workshop of renowned ‘Bikecologist’ Wayne Kotzur, a bespoke bicycle builder who specialises in custom vehicles for people with visual or mobility impairment.
After lunch, we’ll tackle some steady climbs affording gorgeous rural views. This is an area famous for wind turbines, and these sometimes controversial structures dot the surrounding hillsides. We’ll arrive in the peaceful town of Gunning in time for a well-deserved afternoon tea.
Today takes us to the highest point of the tour. Crookwell is nearly 1,000m above sea level, and while short, today’s cycle features a steady, constant climb with a reasonably kind gradient – although a few short sections will challenge the legs. You will be rewarded, of course, with stunning views across the countryside, as well as a lovely, four-kilometre descent to our destination.
On the way, we’ll pass through Grabben Gullen, named after the local Aboriginal term for ‘small waters’. This town is known for gem fossicking, and sapphires, zircons, and garnets can still be found in the many streams that feed through the area into the Lachlan River.
We’ll arrive in Crookwell in time for a late lunch, and you are invited to tour a famous Crookwell landmark – the Lindner Sock Factory – in the afternoon. Here colourful, Australian socks, including hand-dyed local merino versions, are made by this family-owned company.
Today we’ll cycle through quiet backroads before taking the main road to Goulburn, reaping the benefits of yesterday’s climb and finishing the tour with a mostly downhill run into one of Australia’s first inland settlements. We’ll arrive in Goulburn in time for a late lunch, and you are invited to spend an afternoon relaxing or exploring the town before we meet again for our end-of-tour dinner.
Today the tour concludes at checkout.
- Your booking fee is not refundable, but is transferrable with at least 61 days’ notice.
- Guests are responsible for choosing a trip that suits their abilities, fitness level, and state of health. See How Mulga Bicycle Tours Grades Its Tours for more information.
- A list of Mandatory Equipment that you must bring can be found in section 10 of our Terms and Conditions. We will ask to see your Mandatory Equipment prior to the commencement of the tour. If an item is missing or we form the view that your equipment does not comply to our specification, we may not allow you to commence or continue on the tour until you have acquired the necessary item. Please note we will not delay the start of the tour for anyone who does not have the appropriate Mandatory Equipment. If we believe at any point during the tour that your Mandatory Equipment does not comply with our specifications, we may exclude you from riding until it does comply.
- Guests are also responsible for ensuring they are adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the tour. If you have any health issues or doubts prior to the tour, you should seek appropriate medical advice and contact us.
- We make every effort to stick to our plans, but tour details, such as accommodation, menus, and sometimes routes, are subject to change.
- Guests must read all correspondence and information provided by Mulga Bicycle Tours before and during their tour.
- You may choose to hire a bicycle from us. The price of hire will be added to the tour price.